Take a stroll with us through picturesque Bannerman Park in St. John’s and surrounding neighbourhood. We’ll see the grand manors the merchant class built to escape the downtown, stroll through the park grounds, and visit the home of the King’s representative in Newfoundland. Today, this neighbourhood boasts the highest concentration of grand heritage homes and iconic landmarks, including the breathtaking Colonial Building—the very first home of the Newfoundland legislature.
We’ll also uncover some quirky stories along the way.
- See the launch point of an ill-fated transatlantic hot air balloon attempt
- Discover how a man named Marmaduke built one of the grandest homes in the city
- Tour the government grounds where Libyan dictator Col. Moammar Gadhafi once wanted to pitch his tent…but bailed after our Lieutenant-Governor made fun of him
- Learn what one particular home has in common with the Titanic
Come with us for a walk and be entertained by the stories of the prominent families who helped make St. John’s what it is today…and some folks who changed the world.
- Colonial Building
- Government House
- Commissariat House
- Bannerman Park
- Rennie’s Mill Road Historic District